Student Visa

Visa Information for Studying Abroad

Here you can find some basic visa information for studying in the UK from abroad.

This information only provides guidance. For complete and accurate information, please use the UK Visas and Immigration website or visit your nearest embassy. Details can change regularly, and we cannot guarantee that this page always has the latest updates.

Students on a staircase at BSC Edinburgh
A young man and woman sit at a table and share a textbook
Computers at BSC Brighton

Do I need to apply for a visa to study at BSC?

Since 1 January 2021, Students from the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland do not need a visa to learn English in the UK for up to 6 months. There are some guidelines for entry which includes acceptance into a language school.

Other nationalities require a visa; however, students from certain countries do not need to apply for it prior to arrival in the UK. You can check if you need to apply for a visa on the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Which visa should I apply for?

Most students apply for a Short-Term Study Visa. As long as you are studying, this will allow you to study for up to 6 months, or up to 11 months if you are over 18. However, the Short-Term Study Visa does not allow you to work in the UK and cannot be extended.

Students reading in BSC Brighton cafe

Do I need to apply for the Short-Term Study Visa in advance?

Students will need to apply before coming to the UK if they are from a visa national country, or if are from a non-visa national countries and plan to study for longer than 6 months.

Students from non-visa national countries who are studying for 6 months or less do not need to apply in advance. They must bring copies of all school documents to show immigration officers at the UK border. Find more information here.

Three adult students read from a shared textbook in class.

What is a Biometric Residence Permit?

Students visiting the UK on a Short-Term Study Visa for longer than 6 months must collect a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) in your first 10 days in the UK. If you do not, you can only stay in the UK for 30 days and may be given a financial penalty or be sent home early with no refund.

Do I qualify for an Electronic Visa Waiver?

Passport holders of Oman, Qatar and United Arab Emirates qualify for an Electronic Visa Waiver (EVW), which will allow them to study for a period of up to 6 months. An EVW form can be completed online; it is free of charge and quicker than applying for a visa. Students do not need to provide biometric information (photo and fingerprints), attend a visa application centre or hand in passport in advance of travel. You must apply for an EVW online at least 48 hours before you travel.

What if I already have a visa?

If you already have a valid UK visa, you might be able to take a language course with us. If your visa is not listed below or if you are not sure if your visa allows you to study in the UK, please feel free to ask us for more information.

You can study for any period of time on:

Short-Term Study Visa, Student Visitor Visa, Student Route Visa, Tier 1 Visa, Tier 2 Visa, Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) Visa, Diplomat Visa, Residence Visa.

You can study for up to 30 days on:

Standard Visitor Visa, Tourist Visitor Visa, Business Visitor Visa, Academic Visitor Visa.

Students standing outside BSC Oxford
BSC Brochures on a table

Any questions?

We know there can be a lot to think about when coming to study abroad so if you have any questions then our friendly team are always happy to help.